Heaven's Lights Heaven's Lights: "Reading the Holy Koran"

Saturday, June 03, 2006

"Reading the Holy Koran"




I should admit again that I didn't read the whole holy Koran in my childhood or even in my teenage. I used to have difficulty to read it in proper way; I found difficulty to understand what I'm reading and spell out the words correctly! (yeah, while we can sing and memorize 10s of songs easily).
Therefore, I just try first to listen to famous reciters of the Holy Koran. I started that after my graduation. I bought CDs and before that I used to download my favorite reciters from the websites (Basically from Islam Way).
Before, I just used to read it and not try to understand the meanings or the story behind each chapter or verse.
The good Reading must be with forethought!
I remember watching an interview with Dr. Zajlol El Najaar. "He said: in one of our conferences in the west, a man stood to debate us about some words in Koran. He just took the external meanings of the words and he don't know the Arabic language, I told him that if we are the one who speak the language and it’s the mother language of us and we can't understand all words, and we regularly go back to dictionary of Arabic language to see the more closer meanings for the words.
So, How about someone who can't speak
the language and can't see and estimate the words!!"
That's true, Arabic language not easy at all… yes, it's one of the elegant and interesting languages in the world, but to learn it will be tough challenge.
The science of Arabic language like a sea, so deep, so full, and you will find many bases and grammars. Most of us stay in the edges of daily talk and slang words without going so deep into the classical Arabic….
In the holy Koran, if you know nothing about meaning and explanations of the Koran, you will misunderstand many verses and meanings. I did misunderstand some verses because I took my simple knowledge about the language.
I didn't understand so many verses, so I used to read in a copy of holy Koran with explanations in the footnotes. So, now I can memorize many verses of Koran and with the story or meaning of them. At least, I can now read and understand many chapters of Holy Koran.

So, Dear Friends, don't think you can understand everything or what you have in the translations is enough. You should try to find more and read more...

11 Comments:

Blogger Akram said...

thanks Noor,
and here is the best way to memorize The holy Koran

6/03/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Al-Hajeji said...

الله يعينش

6/03/2006 5:10 PM  
Blogger Noor Al-Amal said...

Thanks Adam :)
Hajeji: What do you mean by that :(

6/04/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger Tristan Vick said...

Typically, I would agree, but in this case...

アラビア語を分からないけど、まだコーランを読むっと思う。色々な作品を会得する。例えば、コーランを分からないなのにアラビア語読めないでわイスラムをぴったりのクラブと思う。日本語もともと面白いだと思う。俺日本語はアラビア語より好き。これは僕の考えだ。神様はA語よりもむしB語分かて言うの?人間の命は何より大切だ。神様世界を生み出った神様全部を分かる。義務・必要の度合は概して神様は人間よりも全部の知識だ。もしそうでなければ神様は神様ではないね。ぶつぶつ言うのわ君にふさわしくないね。

Everyone's language is beautiful and their own.

6/04/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Tristan Vick said...

I believe there's always something lost in transaltion. But like you said Noor, the more you read the better your over-all comprehension of the subject will be.

I think I know this better than anybody, if only because Japanese is second to none -the most difficult language ever invented (next to Turkish of course).

6/04/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Noor Al-Amal said...

Oh Brother Tristan, nice to see u around. what a langauge!!! i can't even write like that, but u know what? i'm so curious to learn languages and Japanese is so interesting language. so deep u go so surprise u be! interesting. so, if we all speak one language nothing will be interesting and life will be boring.
Still, we can't capture the essence beauty of langauges even if we became an expert in it. that what make us try to reach the essence of all beauties. RIGHT

6/05/2006 4:39 AM  
Blogger Noor Al-Amal said...

What have u said in that Japanese,,something like that:
(((However the Arabic you do not understand, is thought still Koran reading angrily. The various works are understood. For example, you do not understand, although is, the Arabic without being able to read Koran, you think the [wa] Islam as exactly club. Japanese it is funny originally, you think that is. Than the Arabic favorite we Japanese. This is my thought. The god way it rubs from A language and B language amount or the [te] you say? Life of the human is more important than something. The god way you bear the world and come out and the [tsu] are the God way all you understand. The extent of obligation necessity generally the God way, is all knowledge than the human. Don't you think? if so is not, the God way it does not seem the God way. You hit, you hit, don't you think? you say in [wa] you it is not suitable.)))

that's what Google gave me.
Go here to translate, but the translation is not 100% accurate. maybe 50-70% as i see.
http://www.google.com/translate_t

6/05/2006 4:43 AM  
Blogger Al-Hajeji said...

الله يعينش means May Allah assist you. Its a compliment you say to someone when they are doing something good.
where are you originally sister?

6/05/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Tristan Vick said...

That's a funny translation. I think you will find that you 'can't translate' Japanese using a computer. It's grammar is too complex, and the kanji's have too many variables to actually run through a translator program.

None of the meanings can be understood without knowing Japanese. My point was that I understand what Muslims mean when they say you can't understand the full meaning of the Koran unless you read orignal 'Arabic.'

But people like me can translate Japanese, as hard as it may seem, and there are people who can translate Arabic adequately. Translations can often give us the same meaning, or very close to the same meaning of an original work, but the translation has to be done right by a person who has the knowledge of the language.

My other point was that God has to understand ALL languages in order to be God. If he only understands Arabic, then the fact that Japanese exists proves he can not be a real God. So praying to God in your 'own' language must be allowed.

That's basically what I said, at least the 'rough' translation of what I said anyway.

6/13/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Noor Al-Amal said...

I know it’s a very funny translation, for that I don't use computer to translate the texts, bocs some expressions can't be translated in proper way. My American friend did that once and tried to translate an Arabic text I made in colloquial language. So, he came up with funny silly translation made me laugh all the day.
Anyway, dear, I understand your point, but we should know how it's important to find the essence meanings of words to get the whole picture. Beside, God know all things, knows what in this moment inside my heart, and inside your heart, knows who is truly pray for him with all of his heart. And that's what any creature can't do !

6/14/2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger Balqis said...

I should admit again that I didn't read the whole holy Koran in my childhood or even in my teenage. I used to have difficulty to read it in proper way; I found difficulty to understand what I'm reading and spell out the words correctly!

salam, sister. But isn't Arabic your language root? I mean, yeah it is difficult to translate the meaning deeply, but u said that u found difficulty to understand what u're reading and spell out the words correctly. Is it true? I mean u can write arabic in ur blog. Oh, really sister i'm sorry if this question annoyed u somehow, but curiosity overtook me....

6/26/2006 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home